Saturday, May 3, 2008

Election Results out

As many of you may know, the latest on the Zimbabwean struggle is that the results are out, however, Tsvangarai has been announced as having 2.4% less than the MDC calculated from the poll results. As many of you know, any party needs over 50% to win, making both qualify for a run off. There is a lot of contention around these results - Tsvangarai is faced with a tough decision - accept the fraudulent results to allow for a run off or protest the reslts, possibly giving up the presidency to Robert Mugabe. A run off will be very difficult for MDC, given the recent violence and intimidation. Good news though, is that the two factions of the MDC have now united, removing that hurdle from the party. To really enter into the discussion and learn about the details of the release of these results, I have found some good news links I suggest you visit:
http://www.itv.com/News/Articles/Zimbabwe-poll-results-contested-687238872.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7381668.stm
http://www.swradioafrica.com/news020508/results020508.htm


This one is particularly interesting as it points out that when the MDC and ZANU PF came together for the verification exercise, Zanu PF brought forth 120,ooo more votes for Mugabe than MDC, though they had the same percentage. When checked, Tsvangarai's percentage had been reduced by that same amount, which would have given him the 50.3 % he claimed he had...hmmm...I guess that doesn't surprise any of us.

There are a lot of things Mugabe and Zanu PF can do with these re-runs in order to ensure victory, while making it seem like they were honorable in the first run of elections. It is decently tactful and dirty. Seems like mass trickery, continued violence, intimidation and rigging will be Zanu PF's tactics for the re run. Tough decisions lay ahead for the MDC and activists, I don't think that this tough decision was placed upon them by accident, I think it was very well thought out by Zanu PF, its the very position they wanted to put the MDC in, and it may make them "look better", if that is possible, than if they outright rigged and then won elections in the first place.

Those are my thoughts, other thoughts of concerned individuals and activiss lie here:

http://www.sokwanele.com/thisiszimbabwe/archives/934.


Personally, I still feel very much on the sidelines, still pursuing most of my activism on the internet, knowing there is so much more to be done than what I am able to do right now. I am dealing with the frustrating reality that I am here pretty late in the game, a lot has been established already, and there is less than one with my lack of experience in the situation can do at this point than I would like to admit. The good part of that reality is that there are very knowledgeable, dedicated, thoughtful individuals in this struggle all over the world pulling for Zimbabwe, reminds me of the level of solidarity behind the anti-apartheid movement, which I wasn't at an age to be a part of, so it is exciting to be a part of this...though at the same time, frustrated that this level of response is needed for change to happen in any struggling country, frustrated that this extreme level of collapse and human atrocities are needed to get people's attention, including mine, frustrated that all of this solidarity still hasn't managed to change this situation and frustrated that despite all this most people, even more aware individuals in its neighboring country stop short of reading the news and discussing it over tea, and otherwise going on with life as usual; the explanation of why I am here seems to bring this into the discussion, and there's of bit of "shame hey" and this and that, and everyone agrees about how horrible it is, but there seems to be little action. I understand poorer individuals, who must spend their time and efforts making a living an raising a family; some of whom actually do find the time to devote to this movement, but I am frustrated with those who have the time, money and education to know to get involved, and still don't. On the flip side, one of the individuals I am working with, Rev. Mufaro, a dual citizen of South Africa and Zimbabwe works at an accounting firm, send most of his money back to family and friends in Zimbabwe, and then spends his remaining time transporting other activists around and updating his 41 blogs on the Zimbabwe situation. Stories like that encourage me, which pushes me past the frustration of the other types I mentioned above.

I spent 3 hours in a line exchanging currency today...the interesting thing about this was that once we pulled out our passports I noticed that most of the people in the room had Zimbabwean ones--mostly exchanging dollars or pounds to rand. I dually had the strong desire to talk to the people around me about their experience, and the hesitation that I did not know who I would be talking to and how to elicit the level of conversation I desired without making the person suspicious etc. In the end I simply received answers like," It is quiet in Bulawayo...the media has exaggerated the violence..etc" I guess that is conversation that can be expected in line to a stranger at the bank, I just had this dream that we would have this great conversation about how they had to flee from Zimbabwe due to threats, evictions or violence. They simply said they were on holiday and were heading back to Zimbabwe soon. But that was a more realistic response; now I am planning on contacting journalists, asking them what kinds of things to say, where to say them - to ensure utmost safety for myself and the individual giving the information and how to gain trust while not unintentionally abusing it. I do plan on heading into Zimbabwe soon. An organization I am in conversation with - CADEGO is currently in Francis Town, Botswana, the route I have planned on going into Zimbabwe - Francistown to Bulawayo, so I plan on heading to Francistown Monday or Tuesday, and to Pretoria tomorrow, to see what effect I can make there.

I have been in touch with a very active group called the Zimbabwe Revolutionary Movement here in Johannesburg; whose leader, Simon Mudekwa and others have recently been in jail , in South Africa, for protesting outside the Chinese embassy in Pretoria. There was word that the police used tear gas in this incident. They have big plans - going to Tanzania to talk to the President of the AU, going to Botswana and Zambia and talking to their leaders, while continuing rallies and demonstrations, they seem to have in depth tactics in the works, and I look forward to learning more about them once I am able to get to know them more, they are able to trust me more etc. I haven't been able to plug into this as directly as I want to. Once again, I am not sure what I was expecting, as they have been doing this for quite some time, are very experienced, and might not have something an inexperienced individual can directly plug into. This could come with time. For now I plan on keeping in touch with them, asking them to update me on ways I can get involved -- letting them know what I am up to, and learning from them. In addition, they are in conversation with many people in Zimbabwe who I can be in conversation with once I get there.

So, my plan is to head to Francistown soon, spend a bit of time there and then spend some time in Bulawayo, and then over to Harare; while open to other developments from the organizations, groups I am in conversation with, racking my brain as to the best way I can make an impact, given the talented individuals already invested in the struggle.

This entry was more of a run on rambling rant. I plan on having more journalistic style entries as well, while seeing my personal perspective and experiences as essential to communicate as well. I will be posting pictures and other info. as it comes up...and may actually end up having another blog that is more on the informational/journalistic side. I will send you a link to that when I set it up.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Rachel, this is what I imagined your blog looking like. Good work on this. I think if you have one primary source to blend investigative journalism with emotional aspects of your trip, people are more likely to relate/read/understand it. Did you get my email?

-Joe